Friday, March 4, 2011

Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Sausage Soup

I made four batches of this to share with my monthly meal swap girls.  I didn't think you would want a picture of frozen soup in a large ziploc.  It was a thick and heart soup, but I would be a little more picky with my sausage choice next time.  That's where most of the flavor comes from and my choice of mild italian sausage was a bit boring.


5 cups chicken broth
1 cup wild rice (I used a wild rice, long-grain white rice combo)
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces smoked turkey or chicken sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
4 ounces cremini or white mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
½ cup heavy cream (I used half and half)
salt and freshly ground black pepper


In a medium saucepan, combine the broth and wild rice, cover partially and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery and mushrooms and cook until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes.

Add the cooked wild rice and its broth to the sausage and vegetables and simmer, uncovered, until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Servings: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...