Monday, February 28, 2011

Betty Crocker Scones

I'm always excited to get new recipes, especially if you try one I've posted and think you have something better.  A friend tested out my scones and then offered a challenge with this Betty Crocker recipe.  I tested them out last week.  They were good enough to post, but didn't take first place for me or my husband.  We decided they were a bit boring and too flaky.  We liked the density in my scones and the option of add-ins (which I'm sure you could do with this recipe).  So, for those of you who try my scones and don't think they are as amazing as I do, give this recipe shot (and know that I think you're crazy!). 


1 3/4 cup flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 heaping tsp salt
1/3 cup firm butter
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
5-7 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
sugar for sprinkling


Heat oven to 400.

In a large bowl: mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or use 2 knives, cutting the butter in.  The mixture should look crumbly.  Add egg, vanilla and enough whipping cream so the dough leaves the side of the bowl.  

Place dough on lightly floured surface and gently roll in the flour to coat.  Knead the dough about 10 times.

On an ungreased cookie sheet, roll or pat dough into an 8-inch circle.  Cut dough into 8 wedges but DO NOT separate wedges.  Brush the top with additional whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar.  

Bake 14-16 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Immediately remove from pan, separate wedges, and let cool on a rack.  Serve warm or room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for not saying they were my suggestion so people wouldn't not eat my suggestions in the future. But mine didn't look anything like yours! And if you nearly double the salt from the original 1/2 tsp, I think they aren't boring. And also have an opportunity for mix-ins. I wonder why yours were flaky? Yours look flaky... I should send you a picture of mine, they really don't look like yours. Did you brush the cream and sugar on top?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...