Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes


A few weeks ago, we joined some friends at their house for a little dinner party.  The hostess did an amazing job preparing salmon and served delicious mashed potatoes as a side.  We couldn't get enough of them!  My son literally ate three helpings, which I was okay with after I heard they had cauliflower in them.  A whole head of cauliflower!  I've since made them myself twice and thought I'd share the brilliance with you.  Make a large batch and use the leftovers for this recipe.  I've actually done this before, but used broccoli.  Neither broccoli nor cauliflower alter the taste much, but the green mash looks a bit less appetizing than the white.  I've also heard that spinach works well, but haven't tried that yet.


1 head cauliflower, chopped into medium-sized pieces
4-6 russet potatoes, peeled and chunked
2-4 Tbsp butter
1/2 -1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 - 1 cup milk (I love using up cream or half and half combined with milk to make it extra creamy)
sour cream, optional
3-4 cloves garlic, minced, optional (use at your own risk . . . apparently I really like garlic and 4 cloves is a lot!)



Place potatoes in a large pot of salted boiling water.  Return to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until potatoes are soft throughout, about 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, steam cauliflower until easily pierced with a fork.  I use a metal steamer on the stove.  You could also do it in the microwave, putting a bit of water in the bottom of a microwave-safe bowl and cooking until the cauliflower is all soft.

Once finished cooking, drain the cauliflower and potatoes and place in a large bowl.  Add butter, salt, pepper, sour cream and garlic.  Add just a bit of milk and beat on medium-high.  Add more milk until you reach the consistency you want.  Serve warm and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I made this recipe with four cloves of garlic... and ummm.. it was TOO intense. Seriously. Even Hubs could not eat it! So I added six more potatoes and it was still too intense.

    I think next go around I'll do one clove of garlic and build my way up. Loved hiding the cauliflower inside.

    My kids eat both cauliflower and broccoli without complaints, but if I can get them even more nutrients, why not?
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...