Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Lemon and Asparagus

This is my new favorite one-pan-wonder.  My friend, Kenan, passed on this recipe from Martha Stewart a while back and I'm sorry I waited this long to try it.  The dish is super easy, nutritious, filling, nice enough for guests, affordable, all-around-great.  What you don't see in this picture are how the bottoms of the potatoes are crusted brown with bits of butter and how the lemons are just melting their juices around the dish.  Mmmmmm . . .


1 1/2 lbs new potatoes, halved
3 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 package cut-up whole chicken, about 3 pounds*
1 bunch asparagus (1 pound), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
6 sprigs fresh thyme (I would say this is optional.  I didn't use it, but had a rosemary salt that was nice.  I think the lemon and natural flavors of everything else is enough.)


Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place potatoes and half the butter in a roasting pan; season with salt and pepper.  Roast, tossing once, until potatoes are golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Place chicken, skin side up, on top of potatoes; season with salt and pepper.  Roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes.

Scatter asparagus, lemon, remaining butter, and thyme around chicken.  Roast until asparagus is tender and chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 15 minutes.  Serve chicken, vegetables, and lemon drizzled with pan juices.

*If you don't already, take advantage of the meat man (or woman) in your grocery store.  I often have things chopped, halved, or trimmed and they are more than happy to help.  Who wants to cut up a whole chicken?  Not me.  This time, I actually ended up using boneless thighs I had on hand.  I didn't get the crispy skin you will from using a whole chicken, but it worked and the meat was tender.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this recipe is making the rounds! I made this for Kenan when I visited after Emsleigh was born and it is one of my favorites. Abby makes it all the time now too! Gotta take advantage while asparagus is in season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! I went to the butcher at Kroger and he cut up my whole chicken. The meal was good. I used two lemons and squeezed the cooked lemon wedge juice all over my food - SO good. I didn't think the thyme had a very strong flavor; I might use rosemary next time. I also used "butter gold" potatoes (1.5 lbs like the recipe called for). They were a good potato, but I would use more next time. I wanted more potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...