Saturday, March 19, 2011

Southwestern Beans in the Crock Pot

Our family is in a bit of transition (more on that later) and I'm trying to use up things in my cupboards that I've looked at day after day and still chose to ignore.  Enter: dried beans.  My neighbor does amazing things with dried beans.  I don't know how she does it, but her creations are always fantastic.  So I decided it my turn to just go for it.  I consulted a couple recipes I had tucked away and this is what I came up with.  They were delicious!  And it doesn't get much easier than this.


1/2 cup dried white beans (1 15oz. can of beans is about the equivalent of 1/2 cup dried beans)
1/2 dried small red beans
1/2 cup dried black beans
1/2 cup dried lentils
1 can rotel (diced chilies and tomatoes)
2 cups broth (use whatever you have - I used turkey stock)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp. cumin

If using dried beans, soak overnight in water.  Don't soak the lentils.  Just the beans.

Drain and rinse soaked beans and place in crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.  Stir gently until everything is mixed.  Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until beans are tender.  Serve over rice, with chips, or cornbread.  I liked topping mine with yogurt and a bit of cilantro.

*I needed my beans to be ready in less than 6 hours, so I cooked them on high for the first hour and then switched to low.  I added the Rotel about 10 minutes before we were going to eat and it was fine.  If you forget like I did and add it later, be careful not to stir too much.  It makes the lentils mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...