Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cream Scones

Since we're officially living in England now, my mom suggested I try yet another scone recipe.  Why not?!  These took the number two spot out of the three that I've tried (links: still in first and now third).  Anyone else have a recipe to throw into the mix?!

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, cubed
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg white
1 tsp water
 sugar


Combine first 4 ingredients.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.  

Whisk together cream, egg, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, and place on baking sheets.

Whisk together egg white and 1 teaspoon water; brush mixture over tops of scones.  Sprinkle scones with additional sugar.

Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I still stand by my Betty Crocker scones! I think it's possible that they might taste differently if you made them again, although I know you don't have any motivation to make them again. They really were DELICIOUS and didn't look anything like your picture. I'll try your new scone recipe, though. You didn't have to publicly move Betty to 3rd place (LAST place). ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...