Friday, April 1, 2011

Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale

Kenan has never sent me a recipe I didn't like.  I haven't tried this yet, but since it's from her, I'm confident it will be fantastic!

image found here 

4 tsp olive oil, divided
2 cups leek, sliced (I used onion)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 lb skinless, boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1 cup white win (I used chicken broth)
3 cups chicken broth, divided
1 Tbsp flour
2 cups water
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups potatoes (I used plain old baking potatoes, and I used two)
8 cups loosely packed torn kale (the first time I made this, I did 8 cups and it was way too much.  The second time I made it, I just tore kale into the pot until it looked good to me)
crushed red pepper, optional for topping


Heat 1 tsp oil in a large pot, add leek and saute until tender.  Add garlic and saute about a minute more.  Empty into a bowl and set aside.

Place 1/3 cup flour in a clean bowl and dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.  Heat remaining 1 Tbsp of oil in pot and add half of the chicken mixture.  Sprinkle with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.  Cook until all sides are brown.  Add to leek mixture and repeat with rest of chicken, removing all chicken from the pot.

Add wine to pan and scrape sides to loosen browned bits.  Combine 1 cup chicken broth with 1 Tbsp flour and whisk until smooth.  Add broth mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, water, and mustard to pot.  Bring to a boil.

Stir in chicken mixture, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Cover and reduce heat.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Stir in potatoes.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender.

Stir in kale.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Garnish with crushed red pepper if you want.


YUMMY!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...