Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicken and Rice Soup

This soup reminds me of my childhood.  My mom is amazing at taking what she has on hand and creating a delicious meal out of seemingly nothing.  This is one of my favorites from her kitchen.


6-8 cups chicken stock
rice, 3/4 cup uncooked, or 2 cups cooked
1-2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 cup corn, canned, frozen, or fresh
2 carrots, chopped
salt and pepper to taste


After slow-cooking a whole chicken and using most of the meat for three other recipes, I made my own stock and combined it with the above ingredients for a simple and delicious soup.

Bring the stock to a boil.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender (and rice is cooked if using uncooked to start with), about 20 minutes.  With a good-tasting stock you shouldn't have to add much other than a little salt and pepper to bring it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...