Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Salted Chocolate Caramel Cookies

It was love at first bite(s) when my neighbor brought over these decadent and rich treats. I've refrained from making them myself until I knew I would have people around to share them with. I usually have pretty good self-control when it comes to desserts. One look at these lightly salted sweets and that self-control goes right out the window! A little note: It was difficult for me to get them out of the pan (perhaps because I used wax paper instead of parchment). Also, next time I will double the amount of crust - there was plenty of chocolate caramel filling.


FOR THE CRUST

4 1/2 ounces (9 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for parchment
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt

FOR THE CHOCOLATE CARAMEL

10 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sea salt, preferably fleur de sel

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the crust: Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment, leaving an overhang on all sides; butter parchment, excluding overhang. Beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add flour and table salt, and beat until just combined.


Press dough evenly into pan, and bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.


Make the chocolate caramel: Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, washing sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming, until amber, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter, cream, and table salt. Bring to a boil, stirring until smooth. Pour over chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. Stir to combine, and let stand until cool, about 10 minutes.


Pour mixture over crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight. Run a knife around edges; lift parchment to remove whole bar from pan. Sprinkle with sea salt. Trim edges, and cut into 16 bars. Bars can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of making these for a baby shower. If I double the dough & fill 2 8 inch pans, do you think there would be enough chocolate for both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think there would be enough chocolate for both. I think a 9x13 would probably work well too for a doubled crust.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...