Friday, October 7, 2011

Curry Chicken in Basil Coconut Sauce

When I saw this recipe, I completely forgot that I had made something almost exactly the same a couple years ago!  Oops!  I decided to switch the order of words in the title and post it anyway, because the dish was super yummy and there are a few slight differences between the two. =)  But since I obviously didn't remember it the first time around, I can't tell you which one I like better!



3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 medium red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (I only used one so it wouldn't be too much for the kids, but my husband and I would have enjoyed using both)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I used several shakes of ground ginger
)
1 tablespoon dried basil

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Stir together curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
In a large nonstick frying pan, stir onion, basil, garlic and peppers in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink.
Combine coconut milk and cornstarch and whisk well to combine. Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in ginger. Cook and stir for another minute. Serve over hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...