Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pizza Rice Casserole

It'd been a long time since I had made a casserole, but a fellow More-With-Less user tipped me off to this recipe, so we gave it a try.  As far as casseroles go, it was good and my kids loved it!  I really liked the cottage cheese/rice combo and, although it did have hints of pizza sauce flavor, I wouldn't necessarily use the word pizza to describe.  Maybe if we added some pepperonis?!


2 cups cooked rice
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheese


In a large skillet, brown the beef with chopped onion.  Then add tomato sauce, garlic salt, sugar, salt, pepper (to taste) oregano, and parsley.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese and cooked rice.  Put 1/3 of rice mixture in a buttered 2 qt. casserole dish.  Top with 1/3 of meat-tomato sauce.  Continue to alternate layers, ending with tomato sauce.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Bake at 325 for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

3 comments:

  1. I picked up More With Less last time we were in the states but I just haven't been able to get into it - but if you keep posting recipes from it you just might be inspiring me to take it off the shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I'm going to have to try your nutella bread sometime soon...looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night! I was a little hesistant at first, but liked it. It was especially good as a leftover food for lunch the next day. Both my husband and I had coworkers who asked for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...