Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Carribean Rice and Beans

I love beans and rice.  Don't ask me why.  I just do.  Aside from the, ahem, side affects, I could go for a long time on beans and rice.  This meal reminded me of something similar I made a while ago, but I liked this better.

adapted from More-with-Less

2 cups kidney beans
8 cups water
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
juice of one lime
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups rice
2-4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

Add salt to water and soak beans overnight.

In the morning, bring beans to a boil (in the same water they were soaking in).  Reduce heat and simmer partially covered just until tender, about 45 minutes.  Drain beans, reserving liquid.  Store beans and liquid in refrigerator until ready to complete the meal.

Heat oil in large covered skillet.  Add garlic, green onions, tomatoes, lime juice, parsley, pepper and the drained beans.  Saute about ten minutes.

Add rice, reserved bean juice, and enough broth to make five cups of liquid.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook 20-25 minutes until rice is fully cooked.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...