Monday, May 30, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

When I saw my friend's post on baked oatmeal, I knew we needed to try it out (everything I've tried from her has been delicious), but I wasn't sure what to expect.  Baked oatmeal?  Whoa - this stuff is good!  The consistency is unique - a bit fluffy, which is a strange description for oatmeal.  But we all loved it!  My family of four usually eats 2 cups of oatmeal for breakfast, but today we devoured three.  It was a bit too sweet for my taste, so I'll reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup next time.


2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar (too sweet for me)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick-cooking oats (I used old-fashioned oats and they worked great)
1 cup fresh fruit


In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, milk, butter, baking powder, salt and vanilla.

Stir in 3 cups oats and spread in a greased 9x13 pan.

Top with 1 cup of your choice of chopped fruit and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

I went with my friend's favorite and used a chopped apple tossed in 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.  She also suggested cinnamon coated bananas - yum!  And a comment made mention of bananas and chocolate chips on top.  Now there's a real breakfast treat!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so honored that you enjoyed the baked oatmeal so much. I've even offered to make the kids pancakes, but they'd rather have baked oatmeal. Yes, I think the sugar is a lot. I skip the butter and only use a dab of oil so mine may lose some richness there, but it's still fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...