Friday, May 13, 2011

Light Wheat Rolls



  • I typically avoid yeast.  Baking with it, that is.  I love to eat it.  Oh, yes.  But baking with yeast just frightens me.  Too much chemistry.  However, lately I've had an itch to make my own bread.  I thought I'd give this recipe a go.  They were simple and turned out pretty good.  They did taste a bit light to me.  I enjoy a more dense bread.  But I would certainly make these again and my son even suggested putting chopped apples on the strips before rolling them up!


  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted


  • In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

  • Mix sugar, salt, 1/4 cup melted butter, egg, and whole wheat flour into yeast mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

  • Punch down dough, cover, and let rise in warm place until doubled again, about 30 minutes.

  • Grease 2 dozen muffin cups. Punch down dough, and divide into two equal portions. Roll each into a 6x14 inch rectangle, and cut rectangle into twelve 7x1 inch strips. Roll strips up into spirals, and place into muffin cups. Brush tops with melted butter. Let rise uncovered in a warm place 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and brush again with melted butter.

  • If you would like to freeze the rolls, bake for 8 minutes, remove from the oven, allow to cool, bag, and freeze. Then when ready to use, thaw and finish the baking process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...