Monday, May 23, 2011

Whole Wheat Rolls

Since my first batch of whole wheat rolls ended up being fairly simple, I felt a bit more confident to try my hand with yeast again.  I wanted something more dense, and this recipe definitely fits that bill.  My husband preferred the lighter version.  I preferred these, but made them too big since they were so substantive.  I also liked this recipe because it uses the kitchenaid mixer for most of the kneading and saved me some time.

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp. active yeast
2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
8-9 cups whole wheat flour (I used 6 cups whole wheat and all-purpose for the rest)

Put first five ingredients and 2 cups of flour into your mixing bowl.  Mix on low for one minute, then lest rest for five minutes.

Set mixer to speed 2 and set timer for 4 minutes.  As it's mixing, add remaining flour (around 6 cups) 1/2 cup at a time until the dough begins to form a stretchy ball and does not stick to the sides of the bowl.  Turn off mixer at 4 minutes.

Take ball of dough out of bowl and work in any remaining flour or bits that are in the bottom of the bowl.  You may need to add more flour during this step until the dough isn't sticky.

Lightly coat a bowl with oil.  Put dough into bowl, then turn over so the entire ball is covered with oil.  Cover bowl and let rise for one hour, or until doubled in size.

Roll dough out on counter top to about 1/2" thick and use something round (biscuit cutter, jar lid, cup) to cut circles of the same size.  Work each circle into a ball to make rolls.  Or leave them flat to make buns.

Place on a lightly greased cooking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...