Saturday, January 8, 2011

Peppermint Pretzels


I love Trader Joe's.  I'm sorry for those of you who don't have one close by.  But on this recipe, you won't miss TJ's.  I borrowed the image since I still don't have a working camera, but I have to say that I like my version of peppermint pretzels better than theirs.  Maybe a little too much better!  The savory and sweet combo makes this little snack quite addicting.  Just giving you fair warning.  Trust me and snag those clearanced candy canes to make this soon!

1 bag thin pretzels (I ended up using about 3/4 of a one pound bag of Rold's Gold classic style thin pretzels)
1 bag white chocolate chips
1/4 - 1/2 cup finely crushed candy canes or peppermints (I used 1/4 cup and would have liked a bit more peppermint flavor after all was said and done)


Crush the pretzels into a large bowl, breaking them all so there aren't any pretzels in their original shape.  Set aside. 

Get your crushed peppermints ready and lay out a large piece of wax paper. 

Pour the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir.  Microwave at 15-30 second intervals, stirring in between, until all the chips have been melted. 

Once melted, quickly pour the chocolate over the crushed pretzels and stir until the pretzels are evenly coated.  You can crush a handful of pretzels and add them if you want to stretch the chocolate a bit more.  Once the chocolate is mixed in, add the peppermint and stir until everything is evenly mixed.  Dump onto the wax paper and spread into an even layer.  Wait about 20 minutes for the chocolate to harden and then break off pieces to enjoy!

*For a fun twist, try using a combination of regular corn chex and chocolate chex instead of the preztels.  Thanks to Ryan's aunt for that idea! 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED these! There is nothing better than salt and chocolate with a dash of peppermint.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...