Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gingerbread Waffles

Who says you can't make gingerbread after the holidays are over?!  I'm not sure how I came across this recipe, but when I did, I knew it would be our next Saturday morning special breakfast (my camera was still broken then, so I didn't get my own shot).  I ended up using half whole wheat flour and they were delicious, satisfying, and tasted like gingerbread!  They were heavy on the ginger, so if you're not a ginger fan you might want to use a bit less.


makes 8-10 waffles
 2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 c buttermilk
4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
3 Tbsp unsulfered molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla


Heat waffle iron. In the meantime, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and spices. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, eggs, molasses and vanilla.  Add wet ingredients to dry, whisking until smooth.

Coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron and cook as per instructions (it’s usually called for to fill the waffle well about 3/4′s full). Close and cook until waffle is golden and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...