Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cheese Flautas with Cilantro Pesto

I was looking forward to these all week, and they did not disappoint! I'm not a big fan of fried food, but I could have eaten all of these myself! Don't be deterred by my picture. I struggled to keep the tortillas rolled up (hence the toothpicks!).


1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3/4 cup pepitas (green hulled pumpkin seeds)
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp)
salt and pepper
8 corn tortillas (6-inch), softened (I put them in the microwave for 15 seconds covered with a damp paper towel)
2 cups Monteray Jack cheese
1/4 cup peanut oil

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low. Cook garlic until golden, 1 minute. Add pepitas; cook, tossing, until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Pulse to a paste in a food processor. Add cilantro, lime juice, and remaining olive oil; pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Spread some pesto on a softened tortillas; top with cheese. Roll up; place seam side down. Cover with a damp kitchen towel. Repeat.

Heat peanut oil in a medium skillet over medium until shimmering. Fry flautas in 2 batches, seam sides down, 1 minute. Using tongs, roll to brown evenly, cooking 1 minute more. Drain on paper towels, dabbing tops to remove excess oil.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...