Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Noodle Kugel

I must have been in a strange state of mind while making my menu plan, because after selecting Carrot-Mushroom Loaf (see yesterday's post), I wrote down this recipe as our next meal.  I had no idea what a "kugel" was, but I thought the recipe looked interesting and decided to give it a try.  Well, whatever credit I lost in serving my family the carrot-mushroom loaf, I made up for and added credit by serving them this!  Our meal was interrupted with a need to help our neighbor, and as we were getting up from the table, my oldest exclaimed, "As soon as we get back home, I am coming straight back to my plate and eating all of this because it's SO GOOD!"  And it was very good, similar to a bread pudding that you'd serve for brunch.  It was just sweet enough to combat the sour yogurt, and plenty creamy.  I had enough of the ingredients to make a full 9x13 pan, but wasn't sure if we'd like it that much, so I cut everything in half and just made a square dish.  Which means I can make another square pan next week!  I did use cream cheese, and chose one apple as my add-in with a little brown sugar on top.

A kugel is a baked casserole similar to bread pudding and usually made with noodles or potatoes.  

Recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook


1 1-lb. (or 12-oz.) package wide egg noodles
2 to 3 Tbs butter (optional)
3 eggs
2 cups cottage cheese (lowfat ok)
3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
8 oz. cream cheese (lowfat ok) - optional
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, to taste
1/2 to 1 tsp salt, to taste

optional add-ins:
1 to 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup raisins
1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
2 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced

optional toppings:
1 cup breadcrumbs and/or wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375.  Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.

Cook the noodles until about half-done.  Drain, and toss with butter (or simply rinse in cold water and drain again).  Transfer to a large bowl.

Combine eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream or yogurt, cream cheese, cinnamon, suer, and salt in a blender or food processor and whip until smooth.  Stir this into the noodles, along with whatever optional additions you choose.  Transfer to the baking pan.

Comine the topping ingredients and sprinkle them over the top.  Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes.  Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...