Monday, September 17, 2012

Parmesan Celery Salad

My weekday lunches usually consist of leftovers or what I like to call "rabbit food" (crackers, cheese, apple slices, carrot sticks . . .).  But one day I decided to spend the ten minutes it took to make this salad for a yummy lunch.  I was glad the kids didn't love it.  More for me!  


8 large celery stalks
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini or garbanzo beans, heated (I used one can chickpeas)
3 tablespoons currants (or golden raisins)
1/2 cup sliced almonds, deeply toasted
sea salt 
freshly chopped herbs, or reserved celery leaves



Slice the celery stalks quite thinly - 1/8-inch or so. Then, in a small bowl, make a paste with the olive oil, lemon juice, and Parmesan. Set aside. In a large bowl toss the heated beans with the olive-Parmesan mixture. When well combined, add the celery, currants, and most of the almonds. Toss once more. Taste and add a bit of salt if needed. Serve in a bowl or platter topped with herb flowers and/or celery leaves.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hear ya on the rabbit food for lunches. Usually I'm eating toddler leftovers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...