Thursday, August 4, 2011

Applesauce

One of our neighbors has a full apple tree in her backyard and offered to let us have our fill.  The kids and I picked as many as we could carry home and have been making applesauce like crazy!  My 3-year-old loves the peeler-corer-slicer, and we all love the finished product!  There's really no way to mess this up (mushed apples with a little sweetener, right?!), but this is how we do it in the Payne kitchen.


8-10 apples, cored, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick (or a little less than 1 tsp. ground cinnamon)


Place everything in a large saucepan.  Stir to mix well.  Cover pot with lid and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, or until apples are soft.  Remove lid, mash apples and try to be patient enough to eat without burning your mouth.

5 comments:

  1. Ditto - did you take that picture?? Also, did you use your vitamix to puree the apples or did they just squish up that nicely with a fork? I tried to make applesauce a few weeks ago and it turned out super chunky - in the end I think I needed more water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making applesauce intimidated me a lot, but after your blog I made it last night. After I boiled the apples, I threw them in my food processor. Super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used a potato masher and have also put them in the Vitamix. If I use the Vitaminx, I make sure to keep it on a low setting and only blend it for a few seconds. Otherwise it becomes more like apple puree!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...