Friday, June 18, 2010

Quiche Cups

This was super easy and fun to make! I basically used what I had on hand, which yielded 6 ham cups, 3 turkey cups, and one cupless cup. We liked the ham best, but the cupless cup was pretty good and popped right out. Make sure to spray your muffin tin. These would make a fun addition to a brunch if you used a mini muffin pan. Also, I've never tried it, but I've heard that quiche freezes well . . . perfect single serving breakfasts on the go!


8 eggs
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
5 oz frozen spinach, defrosted, water squeezed out and roughly chopped
(that's half a standard frozen box of spinach)
1/2 red pepper, diced
6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 C sliced green onions
1/4 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/2 t hot sauce or several drops of chili oil
thinly sliced ham


Preheat oven to 350

In a bowl, combine all ingredients (except ham slices) and stir well.

Spray muffin tin with non cook spray and place one piece of ham in each well to form a bowl.

Evenly divide egg mixture between the 12 muffin wells (about 1/4 C each), being careful to keep ingredients well dispersed. You want them to fill right up to the top.
Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. The tops should be puffed and just barely set on top. Eggs will sink after cooling.

Serve immediately because who likes cold eggs?! (we enjoyed ours with toast and fruit smoothies) You can also store them in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze them. If you're reheating from frozen, try to take them out the night before so they can thaw in the fridge. Then when you microwave them, set them on a folded paper towel to drain excess moisture.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying the mini-muffin version b/c I'm hosting a shower Sunday. The boys are my guinea pigs.
    Changes:
    I didn't use red pepper b/c the cups are so small and pepper chunks are bigger. I chopped up cilantro b/c I didn't have green onions. Then I forgot the spinach! But I think the spinach would have taken a lot of room. I accidentally got ham that is too thick, so the ham leaves almost no room for the egg. I should have gotten that pre-packaged paper-thin ham, not the thicker slices that you'd put on a sandwich.
    I tried a few with the ham cut in half and a few with ham cut in fourths and a few ham-less cups. I baked for 12 minutes and they were done.
    Results:
    They're so cute! It didn't seem to make much difference either way with the ham half-sliced or quarter-sliced. The half-sliced ham kind of looked like a flower (it's "prettier" said one of my guinea pigs), so I'll probably do that for the shower. Also, the ham-less cups looked fine at first, but shriveled down weirdly after a minute.
    I didn't use enough bacon. I didn't notice it at all, especially in the ham cups. The ham kind of over-powered the bacon. I might just leave it out next time and remember the spinach.
    PS: ham is SALTY. i will NOT add salt to the eggs next time. yikes. and maybe I don't really like ham. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...