Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Falafel with Yogurt Sauce and Pita Chips

This recipe comes from my friend, Jessie. I've picked up lots of new, great recipe ideas from her blog, and have already made this one twice since seeing it!


For the falafel:
2 T olive oil, divided
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 c. diced onion
3 garlic cloves
1/4 c. packed EACH cilantro and parsley
zest of 1 small lemon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. baking powder
1/3 c. flour
1 egg

Coat a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray and 1 T olive oil and place in oven. Preheat to 375.
Pulse chickpeas, onion, 3 garlic cloves, cilantro, parsley, zest, salt, cumin, pepper flakes, and baking powder in food processor until minced. (I don't have a food processor, so I added the egg and put everything in my Vita Mix) Transfer to bowl and stir in flour and egg. Drop mixture in balls onto hot baking pan and bake 20min. Brush falafels with oil, flip and bake for another 15-20min.

For the yogurt sauce:
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/4 cup minced cucumber
2 t. lemon juice
1 t. minced garlic
salt and cayenne pepper

Combine yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and 1 t. minced garlic in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and cayenne. Chill until ready to serve.

I like to serve this with pita wedges or chips (how I make my own to follow), sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and hummus.

Baked pita chips:
I buy the cheap, store brand wheat pita bread.
Preheat oven to 350.
Pull the pita apart and cut into fourths or eighths, depending on what size you want your chips to be. Lay in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with whatever seasonings sounds good. Garlic salt with a little pepper is my favorite. Cinnamon and sugar would make a good sweet snack.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. I think Brett's love for me would increase ten fold if I could make falafel. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...