Sunday, May 12, 2013

Breakfast Enchiladas


I was in a rut with breakfasts and reaching for the cereal boxes more often than I'd like to admit.  So I declared April a month of no store-bought cereal.  I thought the gingersnaps would put up a fight, but the truth is that it was hardest on me!  Thankfully, I didn't have a hard time finding plenty of ideas that were both simple to put together and gave my family a more filling start to their day.  This was one of the new recipes I tried out and will be incorporating into my breakfast rotation now.  I love something I can make the night before and pop into the oven while I'm still waking up first thing in the morning.  Plus, you can use pretty much whatever you want as a filling.  I started with diced bacon (cooked), diced mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper, and cheese.  


2 cups (151 grams) diced cooked ham
1 bell pepper, diced
8 green onions, finely sliced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
10 eight-inch flour tortillas
6 eggs
2 cups half-and-half (I used 1/2 cup cream and the rest milk)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Lightly spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In large bowl, stir together ham, bell pepper, green onions and 1 cup of the cheese. Place 1/3 cup of the ham mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in baking dish.

In large bowl, whisk eggs, half-and-half, flour and the salt. Pour over the tortillas. Cover then bake or refrigerate overnight to be baked in the morning.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Uncover baking dish then scatter the remaining cup of cheese over enchiladas. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover, and then bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until set and cheese melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...