Monday, October 1, 2012

Simply in Season - Zucchini Brownies


A couple weeks ago, I received this very thoughtful surprise from a friend - complete with bookmark tabs of her favorite recipes.  Thank you, Katie!  I've had so much fun thumbing through the pages and have already tried out a few new things.

I had a huge zucchini from my neighbor ready to be used and this recipe peaked my curiosity.  Yum!  You could tell there was zucchini in the brownies if you were paying attention, but otherwise it just tasted like a dense, moist, chocolaty cake.  My gingersnaps thought it was fun making a cake with zucchini and had the idea to put chocolate chips and butterscotch chips on top.  Why not?!



1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 cups zucchini, shredded
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2-1 cup semisweet or mint chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts, optional

Combine flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Stir in zucchini.

In separate bowl, combine egg, sugars, yogurt, oil, and vanilla.  Beat with a fork.  Stir into zucchini mixture.  Spread evenly into greased 9x13-inch pan.  Sprinkle chips and nuts (if using) on top of batter.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. simply in season is a great cookbook! i haven't tried these yet, so i'll have to make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous - moist and chocolaty. I especially like the choc. chips and walnuts on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! It's reminded me I need to make these again =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...