Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Red Lentil Soup

I thought this was a delicious use of red lentils. I included my notes in the recipe below. The toasted almonds and feta cheese toppings are a must!

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes

7+ cups good-tasting vegetable stock
1 1/3 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 cup brown rice, picked over and rinsed
as much fine grain sea salt as you need

slivered almonds, toasted
black oil cured olives, chopped
feta, crumbled

In a big soup pot, over medium heat, combine the olive oil, onion, shallots, and red pepper flakes. Let them brown, and caramelize a bit, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the broth, bring to a boil, then stir in the lentils and rice. Simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes or until the rice is very tender, and not at all toothsome. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking on the bottom. After about 45 minutes, the lentils will have collapsed into a thick slop of sorts. If you need to add more water/broth at any point do so a splash at a time, until the soup thins out to the point you prefer.

Unless you used a salty broth, you will likely need to salt generously, until the the soup no longer tastes flat. Do so just a bit at a time. Serve each bowl topped with almonds, olives, feta, and a slight drizzle of olive oil if you like.

Serves 4 - 6.

1 comment:

  1. So I made this last night... didn't have red lentils so just used regular ones. I think I like my other lentil soup better, the Lentil Vegetable Soup. The shallots in this one tasted awesome, but it was kinda boring for me besides that. And my lentils never got mushy... I would have totally covered the pot, not partially. But it made me want to cook everything with shallots. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...