Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mongolian Beef

I love my crock pot. I love it even more when using it yields such fantastic results! Next time I make this, I'll throw in some cooked broccoli at the very end. The sweet and spicy combination of the sauce was perfect.


1 lb
beef flank steak, sliced thinly across the grain
1 medium white onion or
yellow onion, sliced thinly (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup soy sauce or Braggs liquid aminos
1/2 cup dry sherry (I used 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, and 1 Tbsp sugar)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon minced
garlic
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup
brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2-1 teaspoon
red pepper flakes, to taste (I used 1/2 and it was plenty spicy)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup
scallions, cut in 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup fruity
white wine


Slice the flank steak thinly across the grain - the strips should be 2 to 3 inches long each; set aside.
Combine the onion, soy sauce, sherry, broth, garlic, hoisin, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper flakes, then put the mixture into the crock pot.
Put the cornstarch in a large Ziploc bag; add the sliced beef and toss well to coat.Add the coated beef into the crock pot, gently pushing it into the liquid to cover; pour the white wine over - do NOT stir.
Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours; an hour before you're going to serve, turn the crock pot to high, add the cut scallions, stir, and cook for an additional hour. Stir, and serve over rice or noodles.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, I'm excited to try this one! It's one of my husband's favorite dishes from Pei Wei! Thanks! (Love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good. I am making it again next week too :)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...