Thursday, December 17, 2009

Burritos

In preparation for our daughter's arrival, I made another batch of burritos to stick in the freezer. This is one of the easiest and pleasingest (for my husband) foods I can have on hand. I've tried several different variations. The possibilities are endless (corn, cooked and shredded chicken, black beans, cilantro, ground beef . . .), but this is the way my family likes them best:


2 cans refried beans
1 jar store-bought chunky salsa (my homemade salsa isn't chunky and makes the filling too runny)
3-4 cups fresh spinach leaves, torn
1-2 cups shredded cheese
10 burrito-size flour tortillas

Mix the first four ingredients together in a large bowl. Heap two large spoonfuls of filling on one tortilla. Fold in sides of tortillas and then carefully keep sides tucked to roll up, starting from the bottom end. Place rolled up burritos on a large cooking sheet. Freeze until solid. Individually wrap in shrink-wrap, or put them all in ziploc baggies.

You can have a warm burrito after just 5-7 minutes in the microwave, but we like ours a little toasted, so this is our formula:
Heat oven to 350. Defrost one burrito for three minutes in the microwave. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Turn burrito over. Bake another 15 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of homemade salsa, I still dream about your mom's homemade salsa. I actually craved HER salsa during my pregnancy with Finn. :) Do you make yours the same way? I'd love to hear your recipe...and hers, if it's different. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...