Monday, May 18, 2015

Oatmeal Fruit Biscuits

I call these "biscuits" because that's what the British call a cookie.  And these are mostly like a cookie.  But in my experience, a biscuit and a cookie are not the same thing.  I would rarely choose to eat a chocolate chip cookie with a cup of tea.  But a biscuit?  Well, I find it hard to eat one without a cuppa in hand.  So in my mind, these lightly sweetened cookies are actually biscuits, primarily because they are perfectly paired with a hot mug of black tea (milk and half a sugar, please!).


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp molasses
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups diced dried fruit (I used cranberries and dates)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1 tsp baking soda


In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter, apple sauce, oil, sugar, and molasses.  Beat until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.

In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, dried fruit, coconut, nuts, and baking soda.  

Add dry mixture to the creamed mixture in 3 or 4 additions, stirring just until thoroughly mixed after the last addition.  Drop by rounded spoonfuls on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 13-17 minutes.  For chewier cookies, immediately remove from pan and place directly onto clean countertop or table surface to cool.  For more crisp cookies, let sit on pan 2-3 minutes after removing from oven and then cool on a wire rack.  Store in airtight container.


1 comment:

  1. I made these yesterday and they are a hit with my family! I used dried mango and papaya -- I think it was sweetened so I'd prob cut the sugar next time b/c the dried fruit provided plenty of sweetness. The beef and chicken crock pot recipes you just posted look great, especially in our summer heat w/ no A/C but my crock pot bit the dust so I'll have to wait on those… :/ Love this blog! I get good ideas from here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...