Friday, August 23, 2013

Eggplant Cheese Pie



Remember how I mentioned those eggplants I received in my veg box?  I let my kids pick between a couple different recipes for how we would eat them up, and this is what they decided on.  After adding more salt, it was tasty and surprisingly filling served with a fresh fruit salad. 


4 1/2 cups eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried
1 small zucchini, sliced
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2/3 cups evaporated milk
1 egg

Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in large frying pan.  Add eggplant, onion, and garlic and saute for two minutes.  Cover and cook until eggplant is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring as needed.  Add oregano, basil, and salt to taste.

Line bottom and sides of greased 10-inch pie pan with zucchini slices.  Spoon eggplant mixture on top.

Combine cheese, milk, and egg in a bowl.  Pour mixture over vegetables.  Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 30-45 minutes.  Let set 5 minutes then serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I got a full circle farm groupon and I pick up the box Tuesday. Thankfully they give you the option to sub out certain things. I quickly changed out eggplant to zucchini. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...