Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Beef Pho


This was a disappointment.  The only reason I'm sharing is to throw in my two cents for the many of you who pinned the recipe from my pinterest board.  I love pho.  This was not pho. An Asian-inspired noodle soup?  Yes.  But not pho.  The broth had good flavor, but the uncooked noodles soaked up most of it.  I'll keep trying other ways to make my own until I get back to Pho Bac in Seattle.    

6 cups beef broth or stock
1/2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled
3/4 tsp anise 
1 cinnamon stick
2 sliced green onions
1 lb thin sliced beef (I used stir-fry meat from the butcher)
package of rice noodles (usually in the ethnic aisle in the grocery store)
1 tsp fish sauce (anchovies, salt, water. ethnic aisle again. it smells horrible.)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Put all of the broth into the crockpot. Add the meat, green onion, ginger, fish sauce, and spices. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 4-6. It's done when the meat is fully cooked. I used a 6qt Smart Pot for this recipe and it took a good 4 hours on high for the large amount of broth in my crock to get hot enough to cook the meat. 


15 minutes before serving, add the entire package of rice noodles to the pot. Push them under the liquid with a wooden spoon, and cover.


By the time you set the table, the noodles will be tender and glass-like. Serve in bowls. We didn't add any additional garnish, but you can add bean sprouts, fresh cilantro or basil, and lime wedges.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...