Thursday, July 9, 2009

Italian Cous Cous


I've made so many changes to this original recipe (which I found in a doctor's office magazine many years ago), that I claim it as my own now. This is my "go-to" recipe - one that I know by memory. And chances are, if I bring you a meal after you have a baby, this is what you'll get. Enjoy!

1 box cous cous, prepared as directed (I like to use either the Parmesan flavor, or the original flavor and cook it in chicken broth)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2-1 cup onion, sliced thin and quartered
1-2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped or shredded (this is optional, it makes a good side dish or vegetarian dish)
1 can tomatoes, Italian style or add Italian seasonings yourself
10 ounces fresh spinach
Monteray Jack or Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan Cheese (optional)


Prepare cous cous as directed. Set aside.

Heat tomatoes in a pot. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil. Saute in garlic and onion for a few minutes. Add chicken. After a few more minutes, add spinach with 2-3 Tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring, until spinach is lightly wilted - only a few minutes. Remove from heat.

Layer in a round or square baking dish: cous cous, sprinkles of Parm. cheese, tomatoes, chicken and spinach mix, top with Monteray Jack cheese. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (everything is already fully cooked, but baking it blends the flavors and lets the cheese get a little crusty!).

If I make this for someone else, I grate the cheese and deliver it seperately with the baking instructions. It's good hot or cold and goes great with a baguette and fruit salad.

1 comment:

  1. We had this for dinner last night and it was yummy! Averie even ate the spinach :)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...